Total Pageviews

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Letter 1: It's not the end of the world.

Dear 16 Year Old Self,
You're probably wondering why I've decided to write to you... 3 years down the line, a lot has happened. Things have changed. And your life is nothing like you thought it would be.

In your 16th year everything changes. Your first boyfriend and you finally call it quits... You leave him for another guy... and when that happens you feel like you've made the biggest mistake of your life. You're going to be sad. For a while. You'll feel like no one really understands what you're going through. You'll fight with the people you love and try and place blame elsewhere even though you know, it was all you. That's something you'll learn this year... Taking responsibility for your actions and forgiving yourself.

It is not the end of the world.

It's actually really simple... Everything you could ever want is standing right under your nose, you're just too stubborn to accept it for yourself. I know you don't see it now, but being 16 in 2010 was the best year of your life. Your friendship circle is at it's peak. Everyone likes each other, there's no drama... Trust me that will change. By the end of the year your friends will all have issues with each other, no one will want to hang out anymore because people are changing. Some friends will start experimenting, drinking and even smoking. And you, being the good girl you've always been will stay away from these things. That's something you won't regret when you're older. You held on to your childhood as long as you could... You have your whole life ahead of you to do those things.

Your problems will only get bigger. Your heart will get broken a few more times, but you'll tell yourself that it's worth it, because of how happy he makes you... and you know what, it is. That's the thing about life... Happiness comes at a price, the things you go through to achieve that happiness, make it worth it. And I can tell you 3 years down the line, you're still okay. You're stronger....
And you know why?

Because you never gave up on what you wanted. You did what was best for you. Always. You're going to be okay Nadine. Life will keep throwing curve balls at you, and sometimes you'll feel like the ground has been ripped from under you... but it will be okay. Because you're a strong, independent woman and you can do anything.

Whatever you're going through now...I know it seems like the end of the world... But it's not.
It doesn't get easier... You just get stronger.

But I'll be here, sharing what I've learned since I was 16...because I wish I had someone writing me letters, telling me what to do when I was 16 and lost and confused.

You're going to achieve such great things. You just need to learn to let go and start living life. You're going to be okay.

Trust me. I've been there.

19 Year Old Nadine


No comments:

Post a Comment